**We are live blogging, please excuse any lapses in spelling, grammar and accuracy**
Day two is off to an amazing start. The event has sold out! We started by greening ourselves up because today we are Orion Slave Girls! … Technically we are Orion officers!
The additional makeup and dressing requirements meant we missed some early panels (that’s the reason, honest!). But nothing was going to keep us away from Wil Wheatons panel!
Wil Wheaton’s Talk
Here’s what happened…
- This was the first time in 20 years that he had appeared at a UK convention!
- He spoke with such passion and enthusiasm it was infectious.
- Defined by the entertainment industry as “he used to be an actor”
- He loves to write and found he preferred directing
- In 2000 – started website / blogging and reinvented himself that way
- He has proved you CAN have a second act in Hollywood
- Stranger Things will NOT take his call and yet there is a character in S2 that basically IS him
- He is a great “maker” and says now is the best time for creative people.
- He is THE most gracious / humble person!!
- “The Doomsday Machine” is one of his earliest memories of a Sci Fi show being both entertaining and socially accountable
- “Tapestry” is his absolute favourite episode. Great episode and even better to have a Star Trek actor tell us without being asked!
- He came up with the particular order of buttons to press to get the ship in to warp speed or into orbit, etc. It made it more real to him!
- He spoke about voicing the off-screen Romulans in the new Trek – where he said “Captain, if we ignite the red matter”. JJ Abrams pitched the film to him and he was blown away!
- He likes to play “Where’s Greg” – drinking game in JJ Abrams movies
A request came from audience member to Sing ‘Soft Kitty’ and Wil delivered! 😍
“Stand By Me” is the career high that he will never hit again, but he has learnt to accept that. A lesson learned from episode Tapestry. We however beg to differ. As Vic Fontaine says “the best is yet to come”!
The writers didn’t take advantage of where Wil was at whilst playing Wesley – they got stuck in the character as “an idea” and not as him as a 3D/4D being
The was a huge distance between him and the older actors, he wanted to emulate them
There was a time when the ST community was awful to him, because they didn’t like Wesley, so they didn’t like him. But now he is older he is able to meet fans who are a similar age to him who were inspired and could relate to his character.
We managed to get in a question ourselves. We asked how he deals with internet trolls. To which he replied “block, and shine a light on how stupid they are”!
When George takes the stage he has a remarkable presence. He loves the audience and we love him. He describes the conversation he had with Gene Roddenberry when he set out his vision for Star Trek. The bridge crew was to be made up of representatives of all of earth continents. The actors paralleled this demonstrating Infinite diversity in Infinite combinations.
Talking about the origins of “”ohh myyyy” it was a reaction from an interview with Howard Stern when Stern said “someone with a voice that deep must have a big dong!”
George described his scene Excelsior command scene in Star Trek 6. It felt like he was recreating it in front of our eyes! George loved telling us as much as we enjoyed listening which is what makes him an A* guest.
Speaking about his hit Broadway show Allegiance, George reminds us how important it is to constantly fight for our liberty, a message that Star Trek also delivers. He is in talks to bring the show to Londons west end. We’ll be first in line George!
When asked if Star Trek could have gone further with its messages of equality (alluding to issues of sexuality) George responded that he spoke to Gene about raising the issue – the interracial kiss was the lowest rating and caused so much controversy, the network wouldn’t let him address any more controversial topics or they would have kicked him off the air!
So far it’s been an amazing day. The cosplay has been a whole new level!
Next up we are going into the Guinness world record attempt to be the largest gathering of Star Trek characters in one place. Let’s smash it! Then we’ve got our own cosplay panel at 4.55!
Weird bit: painting each other green -got a bit awkward!